About the Counselling Practicum
Student Counselling & Development’s (SCD) Counselling Practicum Program plays an integral part in our educational mission to provide York students with professional counselling services that support student’s with achieving their educational goals. SCD offers an eight-month (September – April) personalized training experience in a safe, positive, and collegial space.
Goals of the Practicum
- To provide opportunities for supervisees to increase their knowledge of the requirements of professional counselling practice such as developing a professional identity through reflective practice, understanding one’s scope of practice and limitations, and approaches to ethical dilemmas
- To provide supervisees with information and skill development opportunities related to current relevant counselling trends
- Providing opportunities to increase the supervisee’s understanding of what it means to provide counseling in a university context with an emerging adult population
- To provide opportunities for supervisees to increase competence in case conceptualization, the delivery of single-session solution focused therapy and brief therapy under the framework of a walk-in service delivery model
Important Things to Know
- In order to be eligible for the SCD Counselling Practicum, applicants must have completed a previous practicum/ placement and/or previous supervised counselling experience.
- SCD ONLY provides practicum supervision for the purpose of fulfilling a student’s learning contract (e.g. as outlined in the requirements for obtaining an educational degree)
- SCD will NOT sign-off on College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) hours.
- Applicants must have a commitment to the value of learning
- Applicants must have a commitment to upholding the ethical and professional standards of the professional college corresponding with their scope of practice
- All selected candidates must be available to be on-site for a minimum of 3 days (8:30am-4:30pm) per week (e.g. Monday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Friday)
- All selected candidates must be available to attend the mandatory orientation from Monday, August 31 to Friday, September 4, 2020
- SCD can offer approximately 200 direct client hours to counselling practicum students
How to Apply
The application process to SCD Counselling Practicum consists of four phases:
1. Online Application
- Applications are received only through the online form below
- Submissions are open until February 29, 2020. All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the posted deadline date. Late submissions will not be considered.
- To apply online, please fill out this form.
2. Reference checks
- On the online application form, applicants will be asked to provide the contact information of at least two individuals who can be contacted as references. At least one of these individuals should have supervised you in a clinical/counselling capacity (e.g. supervisor at a prior placement)
- Reference checks will take place in early March
3. In-person Interview
- Selected applicants will be notified via email of an invitation to interview by the end of March
- Interviews will take place at Student Counselling & Development during the month of April
- Only selected applicants will be notified
- Offer letters will be sent out to successful candidates by the end of May
- If selected as the successful candidate, all applicants will be required to submit a Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing their placement in September
Practicum Coordinator: Ermine Leader
Phone: (416) 736-2100 ext. 44644