Student Counselling & Development (SCD) has counsellors who are on-call each day to respond to students in crisis during our normal office hours.
In the event that there are concerns about your immediate safety or the safety of others, call 911 to request that they attend.
In other situations, where immediate medical attention is not required, call or come to Student Counselling & Development (SCD), which is located at N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services. Our crisis services are designed to assist students who may be experiencing life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic crises or severe psychological difficulties.
Examples of crises include but are not limited to:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Acute emotional distress of an overwhelming nature
- Thoughts about harming another person
- Recent assault or abuse
- Concern about your own safety
- Knowledge of another person being abused or assaulted
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Recent death of a loved one
- Witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event
Staff & Faculty are often in an excellent position to recognize behaviour that may signal that a student is in emotional distress and may need help. Being able to recognize signs of emotional distress and being willing to acknowledge your concerns directly to the student can be an important factor in successful problem resolution for the student. For more information see Identifying & Responding to Students in Distress: Resources for Faculty and Staff.
Hours and Location
Location: Room N 110, Bennett Centre for Student Services
Location: Glendon Hall E103
Should you require assistance for an urgent situation outside of our regular operating hours, you can call:
- Police at 911
- York Security at extension 33333
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline 416-863-0511
- Good2talk.org 1 866 925 5454
The Closest Hospital Emergency Departments are:
Humber River Hospital
1235 Wilson Avenue (just north of Highway 401)
The phone number for the emergency department is 416-242-1000.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue (just south of Lawrence Ave.)
The phone number for the emergency department is 416-480-4207 ext 0.
Additional Crisis Teams Across the GTA:
- Barrie Crisis Team: 705-728-5044
- Crisis Services of Waterloo Region: 519-744-1813
- COAST (Hamilton area): 905-972-8338
- Durham Mental Health Services: 1-800-742-1890/905-666-0483
- 4 County Crisis Community Mental Health Crisis Response Program: 705-745-6484/866-995-9933; serves Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton and Northumberland. Short-term crisis counselling and crisis bed available.
- The Gerstein Centre: 416-929-5200; serves the former city of Toronto.
- Peel Crisis Services: 905-278-9036
- Scarborough Mobile Crisis Program: 416-495-2891; serves Scarborough and parts of East Toronto.
- York Support Services Network: 310-COPE (No area code needed)